Thursday, July 1, 2010

If You're Going on a Trip, You'd Better Have a Map

We are at the start of this journey to freedom. But how do we get from here to there? Where to start? If we don't have a plan we'll blink and six months later we'll find we're still standing here in the same spot, or even worse, we'll have gone the opposite direction that we intended, incurring more debt.

I am by no means an expert when it comes to any of these things, but I am determined to get to my final destination. I'm sure you have heard and read just like I have how to cut back on your expenses and save money ie. ditch the cable, cancel magazine subscriptions, grow a garden etc. So, moving on from those things I'm going to share with you my most favorite things that have saved me tons of money, even gotten me freebies! Are you ready? It may seem overwhelming at first, but relax, take a deep breath and believe in yourself and your dreams.

Couponing, no it's not a bad word, it's not something only your mother did, it is quite possibly the answer you've been looking for! It will take some work, but just like going to a job produces a paycheck, working a little at couponing will produce a paycheck of sorts on your grocery bill. 

First things first, you're going to want to set up an e-mail account specifically for the special offers etc. that you sign up for. You do not want these e-mails coming to your personal account. 

Second, there are several bloggers that I follow on their blog site as well as on facebook. I highly recommend following these ladies, they will alert you to great deals, available coupons and free samples. You can also sign up to receive their e-mails where you can look at everything all in one place. I have received so many great samples, free dog food and treats, shampoo and conditioner, lipstick, ear plugs, bags, medical, feminine products, diapers the list goes on and on. Yes, you will have to register with many places (how else are they going to ship you something), but I never give my real phone number.

For The Mommas - http://www.forthemommas.com/
Money Saving Mom - http://moneysavingmom.com/
Mojo Savings - http://moneysavingmom.com/
Greedy Gals - http://greedygals.blogspot.com/
Mommy Snacks - http://mommysnacks.net/

That's a good start!


Next! Building up your coupons and organizing them...

Make sure you buy your Sunday paper (some people buy 2 or 3 depending on how great the coupons are, but I only get one). There are a couple different trains of thought when it comes to actually cutting out the coupons, here's mine...

I cut out every coupon in the paper, whether I think I'm going to use it or not. You never know when an awesome deal is going to come along and because you have a coupon, you could get something for change or free! It really doesn't take all that long to clip the coupons, and then once a week I file them.

Now, there are several different schools of organization as well. You can research them online and find what works best for you. In a nutshell, here is what I have done (I will do another post at a later time with more specific details.)

I use a plastic shoe box turned the long way. I made dividers out of card stock and labeled them according to coupon categories ie. dairy, paper, meat etc. Then behind the dividers I have an envelope that I have cut the top flap and one side off of. Within the envelope there are more sections for instance, behind the paper divider I have an envelope that has dividers inside it labeled, toilet, towels etc. This makes it super easy to find what you need fast.

Like I said, it takes a little bit of trial and error to find what works for you, but this whole set up process is the most difficult part, once you've got that figured out you're good to go! And remember, this is an investment of your time and it will produce financial rewards for you! It's NOT a waste of your time!

I also have subscribed to and use Savings Angel. This is a website that does all the work of matching up sales and coupons for you. You simply choose your store and start looking at what deals are out there. It will tell you if the coupon you need was in a paper circular, or if it's something you can print, which in that case, it will give you a link to go print the coupon. You can even print your shopping list, arrange it how you want etc. This website has saved me lots of money and work! Plus, once you sign up, and then start telling others about it, if they sign up under you, you earn cash back! Yes cash! They deposit it into a paypal account for you! So, essentially, you could be using the site for free! Check it out!

http://savingsangel.com/amember/go.php?r=32146
Well, that's probably enough info for one post - I'll have more to come! stay tuned! And tell your friends to join us on the journey! I can't wait to share and hear all the awesome things God does on this journey!

0 comments:

Post a Comment